Friday, February 13, 2009

Think Relationally

On Wednesday morning on my way to work, I was praying to God and surrendering the huge amount of expected workload that is to come in the next few days ahead and how much I needed help...
  • Preparing for the presentation to our Executive Director (Ps E)
  • Revamping some programme materials for Friday and Saturday's parenting talks
  • Preparing for Saturday's Valentine's Day event
Suddenly, God just jolted my mind with this question, "How are you thinking relationally in your workplace?"

I know it when God jolts me and this was it... I better wake up my idea and start thinking rather than lamenting about my work.

How true it is! Many time (especially when I am busy), I seriously do not think relationally. I am so focused and caught up in the work I do that I become functionally relational - meaning I relate to people only when they are of help to me e.g. only talk more to my colleague because he/she is able to help me do up a report.

To truly think relationally is that in the process of busyness and hectic schedule, our outward expression is to bless the person. The constant thing on our minds would be, "How can I be a blessing to this person beyond just the task that needs to be done?"

The scripture in Acts tells us this:

That day about three thousand took him at his word, were baptized and were signed up. They committed themselves to the teaching of the apostles, the life together, the common meal, and the prayers. Everyone around was in awe—all those wonders and signs done through the apostles! And all the believers lived in a wonderful harmony, holding everything in common. They sold whatever they owned and pooled their resources so that each person's need was met. They followed a daily discipline of worship in the Temple followed by meals at home, every meal a celebration, exuberant and joyful, as they praised God. People in general liked what they saw. Every day their number grew as God added those who were saved. - Acts 2:41-47 (The Message)

Let's learn to think relationally in our workplace/classrooms today. Beyond getting a task done or task driven... let's think of how we can bless the people around.


Start today by:
  1. Think of one thing to thank God for in your colleague/classmate - not a task, but who the person is. E.g. I thank God for Alvin because he always encourages me and supports me through prayer. He is someone I can count on when I am down.
  2. Think of one way you can bless your colleague/classmate today - through a task, but speak life. E.g. Encouraging a colleague whom feels lousy after training
We can all make a difference today when we learn to Think Relationally!

0 comments: