Thursday, March 6, 2008

Convenience Vs. Commitment

This is a life principle that I hold on to dearly and I thought in this Year Of Sabbath as we look into growing deeper in love with the Lord, this is one thing which I would want to share and encourage us to grow in too. :)

Examples of Convenience:

1. "Wah.. I stay in the west, and church is at east. So far away. Don't think I want to come to church already."
2. "Can you shift cell to Saturday morning instead? Because this Saturday afternoon I have a friend birthday party to attend to."
3. "Exams are coming. Think I will not be going church for a while. I promise I will come back after exams."
4. "I really treat you as a brother and want to help you. But it is a bit too early for me. Sorry can't help you this time."

Check our hearts honestly, are we 'guilty' at times of saying/thinking of such things?

This post is not in anyway to be judgemental and condemning. But Ahpa do want us to think along with me.....

Did Jesus die for us on the Cross out of convenience or COMMITMENT?

But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. - Phillipians 3:7-9

Can you imagine what would happen if the Christian faith is only purely out of convenience? Probably we won't be having church weekly and only as and when we feel like it. Probably as you journey through tough times, you won't have anyone to turn to because we are all rather busy and won't want to go the extra mile. Probably you won't even be where you are today!

Reflection:

Are you still struggling with God in this area? Still giving "seemingly valid" excuses which are out of the heart which wants our own convenience? In light of knowing about God's commitment to us, would we respond in commitment to Him too?

Commitment doesn't just mean must do more acitivies in church or cell, but really coming back to loving Jesus and spending time with Him. Time with God takes commitment too!

We all need heart transformation first before we can become transformation agencies in our families and marketplace.

0 comments: