Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Daily Devotion: John 16

33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

I was pondering through this verse today and wondering what Jesus meant by "these things". It seemed so important because it sounded like that if we knew what "these things" were, then we would have peace in our hearts!

As I look through the scripture, it dawned upon to me what "these things" meant.

We can have peace in our hearts because:

1. We know that Jesus is always with us (vs. 16 & 22).
Though Jesus may not physically be with us, but He has given us the wonderful counselor - Holy Spirit - to reside within each and everyone of us.

2. We are confident and assured of our place in God, therefore whatever earthly problems and troubles we face, it doesn't trouble us greatly (vs. 22-24). With this knowledge in mind, it helps us to be God-conscious instead of Self-conscious. Ever realized this? Most of our problems occur because we are too self-conscious / too conscious of how people look at us.

My Personal Application:

Honestly, I was very nervous this morning when I had to lead the combined staff worship. However, knowing these two things in my heart gave me the liberty in Christ.

Firstly, I know that as I lead the worship, it is not me alone, but the Holy Spirit is with me and in fact He is using me to minister to the people through worship.

Secondly, I know that even if I screw up the worship, God still loves me and I will still have a place in His Kingdom. That gave me the assurance to go out and worship with all my heart, focusing my attention on God instead of how man would look at me.

0 comments: